Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Organizing!

So I'm attempting to organize Abby's room right now. Well, actually I am attempting the whole house. Anyone have any good idea's for me. How do you store your kids clothes that they have outgrown? Do you separate them by the sex of the kids or by sizes or both? Also what do you store them in. I've been using the Rubbermaid totes for a long time, but an wondering if there is a better solution.

Also, I going to tackel the kids art stuff someday soon, again! Anyone have any nifty solutions that have worked for that stuff? Right now I have all that in some small Rubbermaid containers, oh and playdoh, how do you organize that......I could go all day. I need idea's people!

1 comment:

Mama2Five said...

Ok.. so I keep checking back to see if anyone has commented. I really want some good ideas too!! I am hoping that as we move I can purge what we don't need and get everything else super organized! But we will see!
So.. here is my two cents. Clothes. I use rubbermaid bins as well. They were divided by sex (until I realized I only had one girl, then I gave the girlie stuff away instead of storing it) Then they are divided by size. In each bucket I divided the seasonal clothing in those big ziploc bags. It has worked well so far. Shoes.. just a rubbermaid tote. Have not really found a better solution for that one!
OK.. art stuff. Two really good ideas that I love. First.. I try to get a picture of the kid with the bigger pieces of art. Then keep that instead of the original artwork. I then took manilla folders and made a "book" for each kid. (Just used the binder clips to keep them together). One folder for each month/year. However you want to use them. I have a book with a folder for each year. I try to put the picture of the kid with the artwork in the folders as well as the most special art. Although, I am learning in just the past four years of dealing with art.. that it is ok to throw alot of it away. {yikes!} Yes.. I throw alot of it away. The kids don't remember it and I don't need to keep every single finger painting. It works for me anyway.. {smile}
Playdough.. we keep all our playdough in an old lego bucket. We outgrew the bucket due to an overwhelming number of legos. But it works really well for the playdough and the tools. It is all in one place. The kids pull it out and play.. then it all goes back in the bucket. Plus it is plastic and easy to clean when the two year old gets ahold of the playdough and combines it with his juice! {smile}
Ok.. enough ideas from me. What did you come up with?? I am always looking for new organizing ideas. Just ask my husband.. who has banned me from buying any more buckets or crates to organize with!! {smile}
Good luck!