Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And that was the end of that!

Yesterday was a really nice day here on the farm. Its supposed to be even better today. Since it was so nice I decided to forgo all my indoor chores. Well, except cleaning the bathroom, you just cant let that one go undone. Anyhoo, like I was saying it was so nice out so I decided I would finally start transplanting all the strawberries back into nice little rows. There was tons of grass amongst the berries making it hard to pick them. The girls and I set forth on our journey and I wanted to make sure they had plenty to keep them busy while I was busy so we brought snacks and drinks and play stuff and the pick-nick table all to keep them busy.

Well, I was about 20 minutes into the 4 hour long job of transplanting the lovely little plants when something caught my eye. It was a SNAKE! Yes a snake was in my strawberries. He slithered out and into the pasture and after taking a deep breath I continued on. I dug out a few more plants carefully placing them in the wheelbarrow each time then returning to my hands and knees to dig out more. Then it happened again ANOTHER snake slithered out. This time I was really freaked out. I mean that thing could have climbed right up my leg or something. So after I quickly returned to my feet I ran out of the patch and to "safety" on the lawn. I told Abby what was happening and we discussed that we should throw stick in the patch to get any more out. Although I was sure that there couldn't be more than the two we had already seen in there. So Abby threw sticks and I used the rake. Sure enough one more of the worst creatures slithered its slimy body out. This time taking its time, as if to say I'm not scared and I might be back! UGH! So I decided three was enough for one day and that was the end of that! When my son came home from school Abby and I told him was happened and after he found out they were just gardner snakes he ran to the house to get his BB gun.



I'm glad that I can count on my 7 year old to protect me. I intend to dig some more up today, but I will surely check the patch good with a rake beforehand!

No comments: